We planned to wale up early and hit the road, but the night was rough and the little sleep I could get in the wee hours, I was happy to lie around. Finally was up at 7 and a monk walked by and asked us to join for b’fast.

The immigration officer was there too and eh gave us a nice spread of food, some You Tiao, coffee, and fruits. It was a good grub and as we were leaving, the immigration guy apologized for our bad evening. I guess no one really expected for shit to happen this way. We bid farewell and hit the semi finished road.

As we rode out of town, Chris spotted the third guy hanging out at the hut where the guys got beers. We stared him down and rode on our way. At the back of our mind, we were thinking that if e guys wanted to catch up with us, we’d be easy pickings on the bike. When Chris suggested we should take a hitch, the thought was unanimous.

There were few trucks heading towards Htee Hkee and we rode about 15 km before a truck passed. The feller was super nice and didn’t ask any thing and helped us load the bikes and drove us all the way to the border. Guess hitching in Myanmar is really chill. If I were backpacking, I’d try that more. We stopped at the spot we had camped at and I ran out to look for my camera. I had also realised my sunglasses were missing. After rummaging and digging thro the sand, I managed to find my sunglasses, but the camera was gone. Bummer.

It rained along the way and got heavier after an hour. We were just staring the the terribly designed roads, 16% grades at places and constant up and down. In the rain, we’d probably be doing 4 km an hour and would have gotten to the border at 7 pm or so. Glad to be hitching this section to be honest. After passing immigration, we waited for the rain to ease up. It was still pouring and we decided to make a complaint about our little incident to the officials.

As we tried to explain, more and more of the immigration guys joined us and we repeated the story multiple times. Wrote a complaint in the back of a cigarette carton and drew a few maps on where we were assaulted. A military guy showed up and we repeated the story again. After getting some details on the type of gun (long barrel), they seemed relieved that it wasn’t an automatic like the military uses. Well we did the best and they assured us they’d look for these fellers with the details we gave them.

They brought a Thai tour guide, Day, who could speak English. He was helpful and we repeated the story which he related to the Burmese officials with another translator. Heh. Anyway after all this was over, it was almost 2 pm when we rode across to Thailand.

The moment we crossed the border, the roads turned into super smooth asphalt, ah Thailand, how I missed ye! It was a nice 5 km ride to the Thai side.

We tried to look for a hitch again from here into town and one of he guys working at customs, Bank, offered us a ride in his friends truck. Sweet. At about 5 pm we headed down, packed stuff into a truck and got a ride all the way into kanchanaburi. It’s a beautiful road and I’d have liked to ride it, maybe next time.

We found a guest house (we figured a bed would be nice) and later in the evening, bank and his buddies took us to a wedding which we crashed for some food. Heh.

Kanchanaburi is super touristy, but a quiet place with high speed wifi means we’d spend the day tomorrow making some plan for the next leg.

Route: Myitta to Kanchanaburi
Distance: 20 km (hitched the rest of the way)
Ascent: 0 ft
Descent: 0 ft
Time in saddle: 0:00 hrs
Expenses: Sg$ 4.17
Comments: The Thai built roads from Myitta to hteehkee is really poor. At this time, the surface is compacted metal and dirt. Dusty in dry and slushy in rain. Marbles all over makes riding really hard. The roads are super steep in at least 2 places, it’s 2 km long, 16% gradient. The 80 km would be a really long day.

Track Notes